Saturday, August 13, 2011

Old Things Made Beautiful Again






     We have "things" in our lives that we can't let go of. We don't exactly know what to do with them or where to put them. We don't feel we are in a place, in our lives, to let go.  As with my Grandmother's chair, I moved this chair around for 20 years. I stored it in a garage,then the cat used it as a scratching post, it was then covered for years until its final resting place was collecting dust in my South Carolina garage. Now this old memory has been upholstered in a gorgeous
                                           Belgium linen. How beautiful.
     Objects, like this chair, allow us to relive an experience. We mentally connect and collect "things." When I look at this chair,I don't see a worn chair, I see a beautiful light green velvet chair in my grandmother's bedroom. I see this chair through the eyes of a child. It is something that has sentimental value, the memory of a past event. If I let it go, I feared losing my past completely.  In reality, this is not true.  Our memories are within us. We can hold onto our memories without holding onto "things."  Holding onto things can weigh us down mentally and emotionally. Letting go is freeing.  We will begin to make new memories without holding on to old stuff.
     It is beautiful to keep an object that is important to us. One, two, or three things, not storage sheds, stacked boxes, room of things that don't relate to our every day life. When we begin to accumulate alot of things, these things begin to create barriers in our lives. 
     Our lives are touched by people and sometimes a few of their "things."  It is important not to clutter our lives and memories with things.  Our memories continue to live within us. my "Belles Choses"  ...my Beautiful Memories 

No comments:

Post a Comment